Monday, September 22, 2008

Come and Gone


It's amazing how many people come and go out of our lives. Some make a positive impact, some make a negative one, but they all shape our lives. Some are in our lives for a long time, and some only for a short time. Some are your best friends, some are only acquaintances. Sometimes we're not sure why these people were in our lives till you realize that they made some sort of impact.
I used to have 3 best friends who I could tell anything to. We always had the best time, we were always at each others houses, always talking on the phone, in school. We went everywhere together and did everything together. We all planned to be in each others weddings, live near each other, all those things that girls talk about as they grow up. Today, though none of those girls are really in my life. I talk to them occasionally, and only know what's going on in their lives because of facebook and myspace (as sad as that is!). Sometimes I miss them because I remember what great times we used to have, and I wish that they were still my best friends. But then I realize that we did have great times, 5 years ago, when we were in high school. We're all living in different places now, are into different things, some of us have matured more than others. I realize that these girls were in my life for several years and were my best friends all of those years. I still consider them to be good friends of mine, though some events have made me not want to think of it that way. When I do talk to them, we mostly reminise about old times, and not really about what's going on right now. Who knows where any of us will end up in another 5 years, because I sure didn't think that we'd end up in Alabama, North Carolina, Italy, and Clifton Park 5 years ago. I'm happy that I had these friends when I did, and I'm happy that we had a great time when we did.
It's funny how those girls aren't really in my life anymore, yet girls that I've known since I was 5 are. I usually only see these friends when I go back to NY, and we spend the time reminiscing as well as talking about the present and future. These girls really are true friends, and I'm sure that they'll be in my life for a very long time. I love the friends I have now, and will always remember friends from my past, and who knows who will come into my life in the future or where I'll be. I love the people in my life now, and they have shaped my life in more ways then I probably realize now. We should all be happy for the people who are in our lives, and those who have been in our lives because they all shape who we are today.
So many people have come and gone into and out of my life, and they have all made some kind of impact whether I know it right now or not.

1 comment:

Jessa said...

Good blog Big D. I was just thinking about this subject these last few days. I feel exactly the same way you do. I grew up with 2 best friends, when one wasn't at my side, the other one was. It was this way all the way up until I moved to KY. One of them I see everytime I go home and we always go over what we've been up to, and then talk about the stupid crap we used to do. Then the other one moved away that same time I did all the way to Hawaii and I've only seen her once in the last 3 years. And this weekend will be the second. It's just crazy how things work out because I was sure that I was going to grow up and have kids and they were going to be my neighbors and our kids were going to play together. I love my life now, the only thing is is that I can't find any friends that are as good as they once were...or still are I should say. But it happens, and all three of us have grown up and have our own lives, it's just wierd that we all aren't an everyday part of each others day.