Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Be Thankful


Friday night, around 3am, a tornado hit down and completely destroyed several houses, damaged many more, and left one little boy dead. Tornadoes happen all the time, but this one happened 3 miles away, from where I was sleeping soundly (though I don't know how) in my bed, without a care in the world. Yesterday I drove by the damage, and saw only the front steps of one house remaining. The whole front of another house was completely gone. Many others had pieces of their roof torn off. There was another tornado that touched down about 30 miles away that did just as much damage, and also took someone's life.
It boggles my mind that this all happened 3 miles away. I take this road to go do laundry, my boyfriend takes this road to go to school and home everyday. I can't even imagine what these people went through, or are going through. I feel immensely lucky that the tornado did not last longer, and did not take my house or anyone that I care about. I couldn't imagine sleeping, and all of a sudden everything is gone.
When things like this happen, especially when they're so close to home, it makes you think. Why them? What did they do to deserve that? Why do tornadoes and hurricanes or anythign else deadly have to happen? How did I get so lucky? It's sad that it takes something like this to get people to start thinking in this way, and to get people to feel thankful for what they have. Yesterday our heat didn't work, and I was freezing cold all day. I complained a little, and my hands were like ice, but at least I have a home, and I could cuddle up with my wonderful boyfriend to warm up.
Thanksgiving is coming up (yay!) and it's around this time of year that everyone starts thinking about what it is that they're thankful for. It's great to get together with family and be thankful for everything you have. I think it's even greater when people think about what they're thankful for during other times of the year, not just at Thanksgiving, or when something horrible happens. I try to be thankful year-round because I am very fortunate to have the things I have. Sometimes I get caught up in life, and complain about simple things, even though I should be thankful that I have them (like heat). So basically, be thankful for what you have, and remember to be thankful year-round, because other people may not be as lucky and fortunate as you.

1 comment:

Keith Roberts said...

Its crazy isn't it? But those things make you "be thankful". but its crazy that sometimes it takes something like that to make us be thankful. not all the time but you know what i mean. yeah we never really had to deal with tornados in new york. i've dealt with like three warnings so far and even that is just weird. o and thanks for the blog comment from the zach and miri movie...yup dop indeed!