Monday, March 7, 2011

Parents

I think that I have some of the best parents out there. And I believe that they had a big part in making me who I am today. My husband and I both come from families without divorce, which is not common in today's society. I believe that his parents had a big part in making him who he is today, which is a man who is amazing and who I love with all my part. We're both very lucky to come from such great families and to have such great parents. Our recent wedding made us realize just how much our parents do for us, in the past and the present. We're very lucky.

But what about the kids who are growing up without great parents? In my profession, I come across a lot of kids who don't have that role model of a great parent. There are many parents out there who don't value their child's education, spend what little money they have on themselves, and who push their children to the side. It's sad that this happens, but it does. I've seen the impact a parent can have on a child, both in my life and in the lives of others. I've seen what a parent's love and attention can do, not only to a child's attitude but their academics as well. I've also seen what inattention can do to a child's attitude and academics.

I'm not a parent myself, and do not know how hard it is to be one, though I can only imagine. I only speak from what I grew up with and what I see. I think that being a parent is one of the most important jobs in the world, and I'm thankful that my parents took that job seriously.

No comments: